Friday, September 13, 2013

Painting my dresser

All year long, I've had this idea that I wanted to paint my old dresser. I've had it for years but my boyfriend finds it a very ugly thing. I actually love that is has drawers of a perfect size. I actually can put stuff in in !!

Because I didn't want to have the hole house smelling like paint, i decided i wanted te wait untill the wether gets better and i could paint outside.

And yes! We have had a GREAT summer. So when I was have a non busy weak at work, i decided it was time to get started with my dresser
I was soooo excited!

Offcourse, I love pinterest! There are so many fun and good ideas on there, that I didn't quite know how to choose what I wanted to do with my dresser.
I thing was clear, and that was that I certainly was going to use paint!

What did I use:
- a screwdreyer
- sandpaper
- a damp cloth
- 3 brushes, 2 smal ones and 1 rough one
- tile grout
- a yar and a wooden stick (to mix the paint)

The first step was to remove all the handles. Unfortunatly the dresser was cheap and some of the handles where glued to the front of the drawers.

The second (and most unfun step of the wholo project) was taking a piece of sandpaper and start sanding te dresser. I sande the whole outside of de dresser. Of the drawer I only did the front becauce I didn't want to risk that the drawers woudn't close because of all the layers of paint.

The third step:
After I sanded the whole dresser, I took a damp cloth to whipe off al of the dust from sanding. I waited untill the dresser was dry.


The fourth step:
My first coat of paint was a primer. I primed te front, the sides, te top of dresser and individualy the fronts of the drawers.

In the mean time I decided to give it a try to make my own chalkboard paint. I wanted the dresser to be white and grey. I had a bag of spare tile grout laying and a martha stewarts site I sounded realy easy to make it myself.

I had two tubes of acrylic paint, 1 white and 1 black
I mixed the two together in a empty yar until I had the color grey I wanted. After i did that, i added 3 spoons of tile grout.
Offcourse my inpatient self, want te get started paint as soon as possible!
So i started painting.
I noticed that the paint wasn't smooth but i was rough. It was not what I inteded, but I extually really liked it!! I decided not to use a paint roller, but to use rough brushes.

After i was done painting the dresser had a rough look, and i turned out better that I thought.

But I was wundering where I went wrong. I found out, that I probably went wrong by using normal tile grout instead of non-sanded tile grout!
So next time, If am going to do a DIY project withe home made chalkboard paint, I get some non - sanded and stirr a whole lot more !! Lesson learned ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment